Sunday, November 23, 2014

Nov 21st HW

According to the papers written by both Carr and Thompson, the Internet is chaining the was that we think. Although both these papers have differing viewpoints, in fact, completely opposite views on the phenomenon that is the Web, they both provide insight to the overall debate. I myself can find that the Internet is something I have grown up with. Technology is all around us and that is especially true for most of my peers as well. We grew up in the age of computers and cell phones, smart phones, laptops, and tablets. Having stated that, I believe that in my generation the gap is much harder to distinguish than it is compared to my parents generation. Constantly, we have the threat of "we didn't have cell phones back in my day", and even "you have everything at your fingertips, I never had that as a kid". I m sure this is a common saying around the households of many families, but the technological age is not slowing down anytime soon, as Thompson said in his article. I do agree that with the this rapid advancement of technology as well as social medias, has changed people as a society. I do not believe that this change is completely positive as Thompson does, and I don't think this change is completely negative as Carr does. I do believe that we lie somewhere along the middle in balance between negatives and positives. A sort of happy medium in a way for everyone, including myself. Personally, I have probably written about 20 letters total and those include ones to santa and a couple of thank you cards, otherwise everything I do is texting or emailing. Its just the way that society taught me to do things as I grew up. Writing wise, I cannot say much about how it has changed besides the fact that I grew up and my vocabulary broadened,  as everyones does. On the other hand, my reading skills have definitely been altered by the Internet and ads and everything else it has to offer. This is where I think about Carr's argument and agree on some levels. Finally, as with my interactions with others, I would definitely say that social medias have taken tolls on real interaction from person to person. Some find it hard to hold real conversation because it has become so  natural to say everything from behind a screen rather than face to face. This is not a generalization, because I myself can find it in me as well; and its one of the worst things that has come from technology. Leaving on this note, I plan to elaborate more on how I believe that technology has changed society as a whole. I will look into both Carr and Thompsons texts, and utilize/extend arguments found in both.

No comments:

Post a Comment